Thursday, November 15, 2012

A snowman ornament tutorial

I want to thank you so much for your enthusiastic response to my embroidery kits; they're doing quite well and I now have them in a few retail shops too.  That's a post for another day though.

Today I thought it would be fun to do a tutorial and since it's almost Christmas (ok, a few weeks to go) I'm showing you my snowman decoration. They're so easy and fun to make; the boys and I made some earlier in the year and both of them did the majority of the work all by themselves. Apologies for the terrible photos (taken at night as usual :).


You will need: white polar fleece, off-cuts of orange and black felt, some batting/extra white fleece/white felt (optional), black seed beads, red seed beads, buttons and ribbon/felt (scarf), white embroidery thread and needle, glue, hang tag made from narrow ribbon or floss.

Draw a template on a piece of paper: one circle on top of a bigger one, and cut it out.  Mine is about 12cm or 5" tall. Cut out 2 pieces for every snowman you want to make.



On one side only: Stitch on a couple of eyes with the black beads, and a mouth with the red beads. Sew some buttons to the tummy.  If your fleece is thin, you might like to stuff it slightly. Use a piece of felt or batting and cut it a bit smaller than your snowman. 

Put the two pieces together with batting inside and stitch it all together.  You can use a sewing machine, but I prefer blanket stitch or whip stitch.


Cut a piece of ribbon for the hang tag, fold in half and make a knot in the end.  Cut out a hat from two pieces of black felt, insert the hang tag in the top and sew around the hat to attach it securely to the head.

Cut a small triangle from the orange felt and stick it to the face as a nose.  Arrange the ribbon or felt around the neck and stick down with glue.



And that's it.  I hope you feel inspired to start making some of these guys; send me a photo if you do! (Please link to this post if you're sharing or pinning.)




2 comments:

Adrianne said...

Saw your kits in Nancy's last weekend - well done!

Cat said...

This is so sweet
I think I could cut out and do with my kids also

I'm compiling a list of Auckland Bloggers over here
http://catalinanz.blogspot.co.nz/p/auckland-bloggers.html

Not all are craft bloggers . . . I will at a later date sort them into blog topics